Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Stars of Magic



On Saturday, September 13, 2008 the Society of American Magicians hosted a show called, “The Stars of Magic” at the Julia Morgan Theatre in Berkeley. It is a great little theatre with lots of charm. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Julia Morgan, she was the architect that was responsible for Hearst Castle. So you won’t be surprised when I say I loved investigating the details of the theatre before the show! In the dressing room there was even a wall where different performers had “kissed” the poster leaving their mark over the years. Very cool.

Each year the Society of American Magicians put on a magic show in hopes of reaching out to our surrounding communities and promoting the art of magic. This is the second time I have participated in this particular Society event and I loved it! I love reaching out, especially to the young, and bringing magic alive for them. I am very much a family entertainer. For me, I love bringing magic alive through storytelling and captivating them with not only what they see, but what they hear.

I was greatly honored upon arriving and finding out that I was going to be opening the show! That was so exciting to me. It is also is a lot of pressure, but it really made me feel good that the President of the S.A.M. No. 112 had enough faith in me and my performance to put me in that position.

After the show was the meet and greet and I received some nice compliments. Aside from performing, that is the best part of every performance for me, except maybe not for the reason you might think. It is knowing that you touched someone’s life, even for just the briefest of moments. It is that one on one contact where it makes me feel 10 feet tall knowing that I made someone else happy by bringing magic into their life. It is those moments that makes all the grueling hours of practice worth it.

Pictured below are photos of the Stars of Magic performers.

No comments: